This is a hands on role, preparing a broad variety of component parts and assembling them into finished ‘system elements’
Responsible to: Production Manager
About the Company
With a justifiably proud history stretching back to 1958, this globally recognised leader in OEM hydraulic test and motion simulation systems develops innovative solutions to meet ever more demanding customer testing specifications. Products are sold and installed worldwide via our direct sales and commissioning teams from operations based in UK, USA and China.
This is a hands on role, preparing a broad variety of component parts and assembling them into finished ‘system elements’ that are then used to construct Servotest ‘systems’ before shipment to our customers worldwide. The components and assemblies made are manufactured to high tolerances and are typically large, requiring careful and sensitive handling and control.
This role requires an aptitude for mechanics and a good eye for detail. Their function is to ensure that all parts and products under their care are in proper working order and meet the quality standards of the company. The day-to-day tasks will include the use of a variety of hand tools as well as larger pieces such as lifting equipment. Attention to detail to identify defects is essential as the components / assemblies are high value and when connected to high pressure hydraulics, are required to be operate safely, in control and without concern to quality issues arising from the preparedness of the parts.
The role requires the team member to be able to read and understand technical level component and assembly drawings, to take instruction from other team members and their manager, and to follow all procedures for health and safety in the work place.
Training will be provided to cover specific needs of the role and where there is a need to support installation work at a customers site, the team member must be willing to travel and represent the company in a professional manner.
Roles and responsibilities:
- To safely prepare component parts to required quality standards before assembling into ‘system elements’, using a variety of hand, power and precision engineering tools
- Manual handling of component parts and assemblies in accordance with health and safety requirements
- To use and correctly interpret component and assembly drawings, and / or other written or verbal instructions
- To identify and report substandard quality via established procedures
- To work effectively with colleagues
- Operate within the requirements the work instructions and risk assessments
- Operate safely and in compliance of the health and safety act
- To use all hand tools appropriately and to ensure their return after
- To maintain 5S workplace cleanliness standards and contribute to development projects
- To support colleagues as required
- Contribute to work instruction and risk assessment development
- Ability to both work on your own initiative and as part of a team.
- Show ability in problem solving.
Experience, qualifications and skills
The following is not intended to be an exhaustive list of experience, qualifications and skills, it is meant as an indicative representation. Experience is of greater significance than qualifications.
- Demonstrable ability to read and interpret technical drawings for component parts / assemblies
- Demonstrable mechanical assembly skills, an understanding of the requirements of hydraulics being ideal.
- >2 years assembly experience with high value / low volume component parts working in a precision engineering environment
- Apprenticeship or equivalent background
- The ability to correctly read and interpret component and assembly drawings
- Excellent hand skills and dexterity
- Practical use of hand, power and precision engineering tools
- Excellent hand / eye coordination
- Attention to detail
- High degree of common sense
Essential basic Functions
- The ability to predictably and regularly attend work and to be punctual
- The ability to read and understand technical documents and drawings
- The ability to deal politely and professionally with customers, co-workers and suppliers
- The ability to perform several tasks at once and establish priorities
- The ability to follow direction or instruction
- The ability to provide error free work in a timely fashion
- The ability to use a computer to communicate, create, and access information
- The ability to travel via commercial airline and automobile up to 10% of the time
- The ability to uphold the company reputation and be presentable to customers in a professional manner